Code coverage - The strategy

Here's how I approach my job, and how coverage helps.

 

 I divide the code under test into three categories.

·         High risk code could cause severe damage (wipe out data, give non-obviously wrong answers that might cost a user a lot of money), or has many users (so the cost of even minor bugs is multiplied), or seems likely to have many mistakes whose costs will add up (it was a tricky algorithm, or it talks to an ill defined and poorly-understood interface, or I've already found an unusual number of problems).

·         Low risk code is unlikely to have bugs important enough to stop or delay a shipment, even when all the bugs are summed together. They would be annoyance bugs in inessential features, ones with simple and obvious workarounds.

·         Medium risk code is somewhere in between. Bugs here would not be individually critical, but having too many of them would cause a schedule slip. There's good reason to find and fix them as soon - and as cheaply - as possible. But there are diminishing returns here - time spent doing a more thorough job might better be spent on other tasks.

 

Clearly, these are not hard-and-fast categories. I have no algorithm that takes in code and spits out "high", "medium", or "low". The categories blend together, of course, and where debatable code lands probably don’t matter much. I also oversimplify by treating risk as being monolithic. In reality, some medium risk code might be high risk with respect to certain types of failures, and I would tailor the type of testing to the blend of risks. 

 

 I test the high risk code thoroughly. I use up most of the remaining time testing the medium risk code. I don’t intentionally test the low risk code. I might hope that it gets exercised incidentally by tests that target higher-risk code, but I will not make more than a trivial, offhand effort to cause that to happen.

When nearing the end of a testing effort (or some milestone within it), I'll check coverage.

·          Since high risk code is tested thoroughly, I expect good coverage and I handle missed coverage as described earlier.

·          I expect lower coverage for medium risk code. I will scan the detailed coverage log relatively quickly, checking it to see whether I overlooked something – whether the missed coverage suggests cases that I'd really rather a customer weren’t the first person to try. I won't spend any more time handling coverage results than I would for thorough testing (even though there's more missed coverage to handle).

·          The coverage for low risk code is pretty uninteresting. My curiosity might be piqued if a particular routine, say, was never entered. I might consider whether there's an easy way to quickly try it out, but I won't do more. So, again, coverage serves its purpose: I spend a little time using it to find omissions in my test design.

author

Vinay Jagtap

A hard core Technocrat with over a decade of extensive experience in heading complex test projects coupled with real time experience of project management and thought leadership. Extensive experience in Performance, Security and Automation Testing and development of automation frameworks and ability to setup and execute Global service centers and Center of Excellences for testing.

Get Free Email Updates to your Inbox!

www.CodeNirvana.in

Powered by Blogger.

Translate

Total Pageviews

Copyright © T R I A G E D T E S T E R